Monday 8 April 2013

Back to Basics

I was very fortunate recently to be invited with one of my cub leaders to attend the Back to Basics Scout
Camp for our group.


Camped in the middle of the woods, gathering firewood to feed the camp fire and lots of free time to enjoy the experience. We all learnt about knife safety and sharpening, together with starting a fire without matches to light the mud ovens that had been prepared for the 4 roast chickens. 


The leaders, some who were just sleeping in hammocks strung between the trees shared their immense knowledge showing the scouts how to use an axe safely and making a makeshift bivvy to stay in for the night.

I opted from my new Vango Hurricane 300 over my usual Karsten as I purchased this solely for the cub/scout camps. We also took a tarp just in case the weather turned, but luckily it was too cold for rain!


All in all a thoroughly knowledgeable weekend and looking forward to many more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment